Skip to content

Millard Fillmore Nagle (1854-1928)

Millard Fillmore Nagle

Born Abt 1854
Married (Ida) Jennie Meck
Died 1928 (buried in Charles Baber Cemetery, Pottsville)

A native of Pottsville, Millard Nagle was the son of noted Civil War Colonel Daniel Nagle. Census records indicate he relocated to Shamokin around the turn of the century, and was in the lumber business. Nagle is undoubtedly one of the most elusive individuals connected with my research, his name appearing in only a very few sources, but the one tremendously intriguing fact attributed to him is his construction of a mansion in the Edgewood section of Shamokin, completed approximately 1910. The house, which still stands, was markedly similar in architecture to the Oaklawn residence that had been built by Monroe Kulp some years earlier and was located literally next door. The neighborhood, closely bordering on the entrance to Edgewood Park, was not a heavily populated residential area, and the two homes were in all probability the most lavish houses for several blocks. The Nagle residence, however, is largely forgotten in local histories, as, unfortunately, was its builder.

As Nagle is believed to have been in the lumber business, it is possible that he may have been somehow affiliated with his neighbor, Monroe Kulp. But, although questions still are more plentiful than answers on the subject of the Nagle family, Millard Fillmore Nagle remains a significant name to be remembered in connection with the Kulp story.

More About This Individual

  • Short biography in Biographical Cyclopedia (Schuylkill County) of Colonel Daniel Nagle, father of Millard F. Nagle
    Colonel Daniel Nagle, brother of General James Nagle (see sketch), was born in Womelsdorf, Berks county, Pennsylvania, April 1, 1828. He was educated in the public schools of Pottsville, Pennsylvania, whither his father had removed, and learned the painting and paper-hanging trade with his father. This he continued until the year 1846, when he enlisted on December 5, in company B. (his brother’s company), first regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, Colonel F.M. Wynkoop, commanding. He originally enlisted as a drummer, but carried a musket through the siege of Vera Cruz, Atlixco, Huamantla, Natural Bridge, Lahoyah Pass; was in the battle of Cerro Gordo, and on the march to Pueblo, and then returned to headquarters at Perode Castle. At this juncture, he was compelled to return home on account of some imperative business and family affairs; not, however, until the city of Mexico had been taken and hostilities ceased. He received his discharge at Perode Castle, Mexico, October 30, 1847.During this service he won the esteem and regard of his officers, and in the engagements in which he carried a musket he bore himself bravely and firmly until he was called home, much to the regret of Colonel F.M. Wynkoop, commander of the department.After his return, he resumed his former business, which he continued until the beginning of the civil war. When this conflict began he laid aside the duties of a civilian, and enlisted on April 18, 1861, at Pottsville, in Captain Tower’s company as a private. Upon their arrival at Harrisburg, however, he was appointed second lieutenant. The company having more than the legal number of men, was then divided and two companies formed, to the captaincy of one of which the subject was elected. This Nagle Guard of Pottsville was company D, sixth regiment, under the command of Colonel James Nagle. During the first three months he served in the Cumberland Valley and took part in the skirmishes of that campaign. After the reorganization of the forty-eighth Pennsylvania regiment by Colonel Nagle, his brother, he was elected captain of company D, of that regiment. He first proceeded to Fortress Monroe, Virginia, under General Wool, and from thence to Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina, where they relieved an Indiana regiment, there garrisoned, until General Burnside organized an army corps. He then took part in the capture and reduction of Newbern, having some time prior been promoted to the rank of major of his regiment. The troops remained here until General McClellan arrived in front of Richmond, when they were ordered to reinforce him. Before they reached him hostilities had ceased, and his command was stationed at Newport News, where he resigned in July, 1862, and returned home on account of sickness and death in his family. During the invasion of Pennsylvania by General Lee, he re-enlisted in September, 1862, and was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of the nineteenth emergency regiment. He was out two weeks in service, when he was appointed by Governor Curtin as colonel of the 173rd regiment drafted militia. In this capacity he served the full time of nine months. His command was first ordered to Norfolk, Virginia, where it was used to guard the approaches to the city which approaches were Kempville, Intrenched Lines, Sewell’s Point, Indian Pole Bridge, Great Bridge, Cape Henry Lighthouse, Fort Norfolk and Tanner’s Creek. Their headquarters were at Camp Viele. In May, 1863, he was ordered to Norfolk to relieve a Wisconsin regiment, and then performed provost duty in the city and suburbs.

    July 10, 1863, he received orders from General Viele to report to General Meade at Gettysburg, but he met General Meade at Boonsboro, Md., who in turn sent him to the eleventh army corps under charge of General O. O. Howard. His regiment reached the aforesaid corps at Berlin, and was assigned to service in Virginia on the Orange and Alexandria railway, with headquarters at Manassas Junction. While stationed here he guarded this road from Broad Run to Manassas Junction. He was stationed at Kettle Run and other points until August 18, 1863, when he was discharged from further duty, by reason of his term of service having expired. After his return to Schuylkill county, Col. Nagle became a coal agent for a short time and then engaged in the flouring business for a few years. In 1876, he retired from that line of work, and returned to his original business of painting and paper-hanging.

    He is a prominent member of the Pulaski Lodge, No. 216, F. and A.M., and of the Mexican Veteran Association. Religiously, he is in faith a Lutheran. Colonel Nagle has always been a republican in politics, and at the breaking out of the civil war was a member of the borough council, which office he filled until the expiration of his first three months’ service, but resigned on account of re-enlistment.

    On July 6, 1848, he was united in marriage with Hannah, a daughter of John Kantner, of Pottsville, Pennsylvania. Their union was blessed with eight children, five of whom are now living: Edwin Seculas, married Nellie Sicerott, and is chief clerk for Riley & Company, importers of machinery of Boston, Massachusetts; Daniel Winfield, married Valeria Koons, and is the head bookkeeper in the Lutheran Publication House, of Philadelphia; Millard Fillmore, married Jennie Meck, and is a member of the firm of Meck & Nagle, general lumber and coal merchants of Shamokin, Pa.; Harry Clay, married Katie Sterner, and is a clerk in the Lutheran Publication House, of Philadelphia; and George W., at home. Mrs. Nagle died January 8, 1877, aged forty-six years. He again married on July 20, 1880, to Rebecca Loose, of Pottsville, Pennsylvania, daughter of Joseph Muthart, of Berks county, Pennsylvania.
    Originally posted on this blog entry

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: